It's another 9 days til Bosco is 1-month-old.
They say the first month is always the toughest. And I couldn't agree more!
The confinement days so far has been like a roller coaster ride for me, especially the breastfeeding journey. I was overly-confident that, if I could feed Chloe well 2 years ago, so could I this round. I was so wrong. And the fact that Bosco is a 'lil milk monster, is making it tougher.
I hope I could conquer the coming days in a breeze...
• Beaming with smile after a smooth delivery - seeing baby well and healthy (and does actually look like me a little!)
• Suffered from bad engorgement in day 4-5 and never can latch on hungry baby successfully.
• Resort to feeding baby EBM but at the same time, could only pump out so little, on the contrary to how hard the breasts are.
• Finally the blocked ducts were cleared with a lots of massaging, and I could pump out a good 8 oz at one go.
• Both mummy and baby had to go back for 1-week review. I was healing well but poor Bosco had to be admitted for phototherapy. His jaundice level shot up to 21 points and boy, I was heartbroken.
• Decided to let the nurse feed him FM during the treatment as we're suspecting too much ginger in my food intake. That 2 days were the only time I could store and freeze my EBM.
• Continue to feed Bosco for 2 more days after he's discharged with the jaundice level at borderline, 9 points.
• Towards the end of the week, feeding was back on track. Bosco could latch well and I continued to pump to store too. "That should be the way," until...
• Out of nowhere, Bosco rejected to latch and was screaming his lungs out each time I offered him. If he wasn't crying, he would fall asleep half way feeding.
• That few days were already enough to make my supply drop into half.
• And as I'm typing this entry, I'm already thawing the frozen EBM to keep up with Bosco's growth spurt.
• Though sometimes he would still latch on, I hardly could keep him full for long. Bottle feeding still does a better job.
Geez... I really don't know how long I could keep up with this moo moo job. I'm downing lots of soup and hot beverages. Please bless me with lotsa milk! Moooooo...